Labels

Thursday 17 August 2017

Couple get married in first interfaith lesbian wedding

Couple get married in first interfaith lesbian wedding
                                                 (Picture: PUKAARNEWS.COM/SWNS)

This is believed to be Britain’s first interfaith lesbian wedding.
Kalavati Mistry, a Hindu, and Miriam Jefferson, who is Jewish, have finally tied the knot more than 20 years after they first met on a training course.
The couple had a traditional Hindu ceremony in Kalavati’s hometown of Leicester, months after having a Jewish wedding in San Antonio, Texas.
Both brides wore traditional red and white bridal colours, fresh garlands, and ‘mangala sutra’ necklaces to shoe they were married.
Kalavati, 48, said: ‘Marriage is very important to me.


‘I grew up in a very traditional household, and really value the traditions and the culture. To me, I wanted to spend my life with someone, in a union.’
She revealed that she struggled to come out to her strictly religious parents and only did so a few years ago, but was met by acceptance.

However, they struggled to find a Hindu priest willing to conduct the ceremony.
She said: ‘My family have embraced Miriam very well.
‘I knew during my teenage years that I was (gay) and it was very difficult, trying to tell your friends and family and honour the traditions.



‘Once I told my friends and family a few years ago, they were very warm, welcoming and embracing to Miriam, which is very important.
‘It’s really nice to now have a Hindu wedding here, because it brings both of us together and completes both of us in my eyes.’
The wedding took place at the Chutney Ivy restaurant in Leicester.




Metro.co.uk














No comments:

Post a Comment